Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Traveling with Littles

Isla has flown 4 times on her 'free-before-2' ticket and I thought I would blog about the things that worked best for us when traveling. All of the flights we took were 5+ hours and she ranged in age from 8 months to 16 months so hopefully this is good advice for a variety of stages. We definitely 'dug deep' to keep her busy and stay sane while traveling. I hope these help some of you out there -- feel free to message your own as well!

The NUMERO UNO thing to do before flying with your Baby/Toddler is abandon all hope that it will be as relaxing as going alone or as a couple. That just won't happen. Even if your baby is a little flawless gem it's still work. Give yourself a break and just decide you can do it and you're going to roll with it. It will make things a lot easier- believe me!

flying solo with the baby! = brave!


This is my process for getting through security (whether B's with me or not)--so far it has been rather seamless and everyone at the airport has been very helpful (especially when I'm flying with the baby alone! (It's not as scary as it sounds!)

- I always put Isla in the Ergo to go through security and check-in. I push my carry-on bag (usually a big backpack) in the stroller and drag my luggage behind me. I have curb checked before and it works great also. If you are worried your bag is over-weight (those diapers are heavy! ;) definitely curb check and be prepared to tip. More often than not they will not charge you extra if you're close to the max and loaded down with bags and a baby. Thank you check-in friends! I check my luggage and my carseat which is ALWAYS in a carseat bag. Seriously friends- buy the $35 carseat bag. I just saw someone's booster car seat ripped apart after my last flight. It's worth the money!

**Stroller Note: I love my Britax but I would sob if it got broken traveling so I bought a used Maclaren on Craigslist. It works great for travel and fits in one of those cheap $10 stroller travel bags from Amazon. I did one trip where we purchased an umbrella stroller (for $30) at the destination and I was scared every time Isla rode in it. I also have rented them at the destination. For me, traveling with a used, good quality model is the way to go! **


Also! When you put the carseat in the carseat bag you can put anything 'extra' in the carseat and buckle it in and it travels for free. I always put a small bag of Isla's toys in her carseat (buckled in) and put it in the carseat bag--they come in REALLY handy!

- I always tuck my passport and ticket in the hood of the stroller or the Ergo pocket so it's handy. You can go through security with your little one in a baby carrier. You will need to fold your stroller to go through the scanner along with your carry-ons and shoes :)  If you do the baby carrier route they will swab your hands for explosives. It's like having them glossed over with a wet wipe. I always carry a water bottle and bottle of milk for Isla onto the plane. I let the Security person know when I put it on the scanner. They will grab it when it comes through and lead you over to test it. They will wave a test strip over the top of them. They should never dip the strip into the liquid. This all sounds like a lot but it usually is very quick and I've always gotten extra help from a Security Agent or a Family/Priority line (they actually opened one on my account last time, lucky me!)

I use this little cooler with one icepack for a milk bottle and a water bottle on a 5 hour flight. It helps to have sippy cups if they have issues with their ears popping. Security has never had a problem with me taking this through after it has been tested. 

- I usually do the pre-boarding with Isla because I like to get settled and it can take awhile with a little one. When B's with me we usually board last to give her more time to run around. It just depends what's better for your little one. I usually put her in the Ergo prior to boarding and roll my carry-on backpack down in the stroller. I fold up the stroller before getting on the plane and wear my backpack and Isla the short distance to my seat.

3. When I first get to my seat I pull out anything I think she'll want to play with that's a good distraction. I stock one diaper, wipes and her toys I pulled out in the seat back pocket and put my carry-on in a VERY convenient place. On a long flight you are almost guaranteed to have to get in it again for another diaper or food.


4. Always and I mean ALWAYS pack a snack. I like to do the little snack cup with a mix of bunny grahams, yogurt bites and goldfish but seriously, whichever they prefer works great!

5. Buy the cheese/fruit plate if you fly Alaska Airlines. It's a great way for them to play with non-messy food and waste some time. I had to sit in the back of the plane on the way home and they ran out of this so I went with the Kids Picnic Pack and it's good too but I prefer the cheese&fruit.

6. This brings me to a point I should have mentioned earlier-- When you choose your seat, sit near the front of the plane if possible. You can get off quicker and when that plane lands--that will be the only thing on your mind. If you're flying alone get the aisle so you can get out and walk with your baby (unless your child is a little angel and will sit on your lap and relax-- in that case, take the window!) If you're traveling with a 'helper' choose the aisle and window with a seat in between. Most people won't pick a middle seat so you have a better chance of getting a row to yourself. If I'm in an undesirable seat and traveling alone I usually talk to the airline employees at the gate. They've been really nice and helpful when I needed to be moved or helped out. If they can help they will and an extra dose of 'NICE' goes a long way!

7. If your Toddler's falling apart use the barf bag as a puppet. This has saved me for a couple minutes many times!

Or the let them have your seat and play with the seat belt---the things that entertain them never cease to amaze me!

8. On our last flight, one of the ladies near us loaned us her Daughter's Magformers. Isla loved them and played with them for at least 20 minutes. I would say for ages 18 months-5+ they're awesome. I will definitely buy them for our next flight!

9. Pack a couple small toys and don't be afraid to pull out the iPhone or iPad if things are hitting the fan. You are not going to ruin your child by having them watch Elmo for 5 minutes while you regain your composure.


Isla loves Sesame Street so in moments of panic on the plane I pull out this "Elmo Calls" app to entertain her for a minute. It usually does the trick as a quick distraction. (Cookie Calls is also fun!)

10. If you are nursing: wear something that doesn't make you crazy -- we're talking 'easy access' here ladies! I am a fan of a cotton T-shirt, maxi skirt and my most-favorite-in-the-WHOLE-WORLD cardigan (find it here) that I used to drape over the front of me or to wear and drape the long front part over Isla -- also perfect for when they fall asleep after nursing---it's perfectly snuggly!


When you get to the destination....

1.  I always pack Isla's sound machine and blanket/stuffies from home. The Sleep Consultant I used to work with told me that when you're on vacation you 'do your best' with sleep schedules, kids are going to go to bed late and that's ok...just be fair to them and stick to their sleep routine at night. So even if I put Isla down an hour later I would still do her sleep routine to indicate that it was time to wind down and start bedtime. It worked great for us! I usually ask the hotel to provide a pack&play and I bring a sheet, blanket, etc. I usually stuff these in the big pocket in the front of the suitcase that most people don't use!

2. Seriously, go buy that bib (the Make My Day bib I LOVE!) and bring it. It folds up super small and travels REALLY well. It's also super easy to clean--like "wet wipe easy!"


It even comes in handy for lunches in the car on the go! 

3. When it comes to carseats I always take Isla's with us and check it for free. You can rent them from a  rental car company, I just have no experience with that. I 100% recommend using a car seat bag to cover the car seat so it doesn't get damaged at check-in. We've never had issues taking her infant seat although I'm somewhat terrified to take her Toddler seat (it's like a huge throne!)


4. Isla's a great eater but because meal times can be messed up when you change time zones I usually do 'small bite' meals for the first couple days until she adjusts and wants to eat with the group at a restaurant. I usually cut up a variety of food and put them in the fridge so I can grab meals on the go, put something together quickly or make a snack. (The one below makes me look like super Mom- realistically they also include PBJ and some convenient snacky foods :)


Well Friends, that's it! Happy vacationing with your Little One! Making memories on vacation is the most fun--don't be scared to travel, they adapt really well!

Ps.... even when you feel like this...... 


Hang in there!!!! 

Get a Coffee! 


(or a mai tai!) 
 Sun and a lovely vacation awaits! :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment