Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ballard Locks

Hi Friends! 

I have been compulsively crossing out items on my 'to-do list' (that just never ends) while Isla naps this week and I finally got to:

 #19. Clear out "drafts" folder on both blogs. 

I tend to get blog ideas and if I don't finish them right away or get distracted with Isla I save them in the "drafts" folder with every intention to come back. Unfortunately, sometimes I never come back to them. I FINALLY went through my drafts folder and took my 30+ blog posts down to 13. Yay me! 

This means, you are going to get some older (yet still relevant!) posts-- like the one below. This one is from last Summer but it still is a good one to blog about! I was going to do a series about Family Fun Outings in Seattle...I got as far as this Ballard Locks blog and didn't continue it (obviously it was so successful--boooo,S!)-- So without further adieu....this long overdue and perfectly timed (Take advantage of this GREAT SUMMER WEATHER!) Seattle post! 

________________________________________________

We love to explore our city and play 'tourist' for the day! There are so many fun, family oriented and better yet, FREE things to do in Seattle. The Ballard Locks are one of those fun (and free!) activities and are always worth the trip! We usually go through Ballard to have an excuse to stop in to The Other Coast Sandwich shop in downtown Ballard. Do it--you won't regret a second! 

There is usually quite a bit of parking (along the train tracks and street) if you get to the Locks early. If you're confused about what the 'locks' are I will briefly enlighten you (because google just gave me a lovely definition and some genius facts):

The Ballard Locks link the Puget Sound with Lake Union and Lake Washington. They were completed in 1917 and the grounds include a visitor's center, gift shop and large greenspace (perfect for picnicking and letting the littles run free!) The basic procedure is : Boats (big and small) pull into the locks, the water level drops as much as 26 feet to bring the boats even with the Puget Sound. The fresh water is exchanged with salt water and 10-15 minutes after this process is complete boats are on their way! You can view the whole thing from the viewing platforms above the locks.

Pretty cool huh?!!!! 










The locks are also a critical link for salmon heading upstream to spawn. A 21-step fish ladder allows spawning fish to climb to the freshwater side. The best time to see Salmon spawning is mid to late-August. (L, Possible Mom Date? I think so!)



Yep, it's stroller friendly! Lots of ramps! 




Go check it out! 






No comments:

Post a Comment