Thursday, July 10, 2014

(Not) Getting your Green

Hi Friends!

This post is part of my 'Getting your Greens' series but it's for biscuits which have zero green in them--they just go deliciously with greens! Honestly they're my favorite savory, easy biscuit recipe. You mix 'em up real quick, drop them on the pan and they take 12 mins to cook. They're perfect everytime--I love them with soup or salad but I'm sure they're delicious with anything.

Tonight I paired them with a veggie chowder. I know what you're thinking .....  85 degrees Sandi, chowder & delicious biscuits, really?! YES! I had to use up a bunch of veggies and used a great recipe where I could get in cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, celery and carrots----an entire garden in a bowl (and it was REALLY GOOD!)....so it was like I kinda got my greens :)

Ok for real- save this recipe and try these. I love them!

A couple of quick cooking notes:

-If you don't have buttermilk don't stress! Just use my trick---put 1 cup buttermilk in a bowl with 1 Tbsp of white vinegar and let it sit for 5 mins. That's your buttermilk substitute!

-Bake at 450 but if your oven bakes hot watch them so the tops don't burn.

-I throw in fresh cut onion but minced onion from the spice aisle works too.

Cheddar Onion Drop Biscuits
 
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: trishthedish617
Photo By: naples34102
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 25 Minutes
Servings: 12
"These tasty biscuits have a savory Cheddar and onion flavor. Perfect with a bowl of chili or hearty soup in the winter or a main dish salad in the summer."
INGREDIENTS:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
cheese
1 cup 1% buttermilk
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir the onion, Parmesan cheese, and Cheddar cheese into the flour mixture. Pour the buttermilk into the bowl; stir until evenly combined. Drop by 1/4-cupfuls onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
3.Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the biscuits are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2014 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 7/10/2014

__________________________________

And if you're backyard deprived like B and I....dine on your balcony :) So swanky around here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment