Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Seeing Stars

Hi Friends!

Today I got to experience what it's like to have an optic migraine with a Toddler.

Spoiler Alert: It totally blows.

I had a great morning-- Isla slept in a bit and was in a great mood when she woke up. We had a fun little breakfast/coffee date in the kitchen, watched a bit of the Today show and got ready for her music/dance class. Right about the time I was done blow-drying my hair I started seeing glimmering lights and stars .... very much like a snowflake design spreading across my left-eye. Unfortunately I know where this all too familiar feeling ends....

...Me in bed with a large pillow over my face. Eyes pulsing. Head pounding....trying to drown out all slivers of light.

The little kink that my poorly-timed optic migraine didn't account for was the Toddler who demands my every waking moment. I have been getting these migraines for about 4 years- they used to be really bad at work and I attributed them to stress. I haven't had one since Isla was a newborn and at that time I had some extra help so I made it through. Today, I called B who came to rescue for about an hour so I could hibernate and try to get rid of it the best I could. When he had to go he ended up tucking Isla in bed with me.....

She laid down for a total of 23 seconds and then was up and demanding 'acks' (snacks) .... to which I ended up bribing her with Annie's graham crackers and Elmo. I swear she knows just the right pitch to make my head really throb.

After lunch, at least 5 'acks' and playtime that consisted of demanding blocks and then kicking them in all directions (why Isla, WHY?!) I decided it was long-overdue-naptime. She went down great but only slept for 10 minutes and then was up yelling 'acks' at me (That is real.) I went in to find a blown out diaper (most likely from all the 'acks'). After a new diaper, a 2nd round of milk and the clear realization that she wasn't going to nap I found the darkest sunglasses I owned (I looked like I lost my sight all together), strapped a very upset Toddler into her stroller and decided the only way she was going to sleep was on a walk. After 30 minutes of strolling in 82 degree direct sunlight (but who's complaining) she FINALLY went.the.eff.to.sleep.

ayiyyiyi.

I have never wanted to dig a hole and stick my head in it so bad in my life.

Time to suck down my coffee (hoping this helps!) and try to erase the sight of an old man in a speedo who I spotted on my walk (Why, just WHY?!!) I fear it's burnt in there for good.

Hope everyone's having a great Tuesday---xoxo.

S


No comments:

Post a Comment