Monday, June 16, 2014

B.Daddy

Hi Friends!

We had such a nice Father's Day yesterday. I meant to blog about it and give Isla's Daddy, B a little shout-out love but we were too busy 'living in the moment' and that's what's most important anyways. This little tribute of appreciation may be a day late but the words are the same---


Brandon and I were never the 'type' to talk about having kids. When we first started dating we pretty much were still 'kids' so I think we just didn't plainly state that we wanted a family although we always knew. Then the 'time came' and all of a sudden it felt like, "yah, we should do that" (It's so weird how one day it just seems to make sense and feels right!) I not only got the privilege of carrying Isla and bringing her into the world but of watching my Husband become a Dad... something I didn't even realize how much he was 'made for.' 


I don't think it's a secret to say that B can be guarded when it comes to feelings.... I like to call it his 'emotional radar.' I can always tell when something is too touching and his 'emotional radar' is going to go off and he has to make a funny noise or mute the TV to avoid the emotional moment. This isn't to say he misses out on the real life ones. There is something about the way he experiences our moments that makes them even more special.  He was there with me every second of my 11 hour labor with Isla and experienced all of our joy when she came into this world. Watching him with our girl over the last 17 months has touched my heart in places I didn't know were still exposed to be touched. There is something tangible about watching a little girl and her Daddy--especially a man I thought I had 'figured out' over 14 years. 


There are moments when I look at them and the world -- our perfect little world-- just stands still.

Those slow motion moments that replay in my head -- that I savor and hope will be locked up tight so years from now I can think back and say, "those moments when our 'babies were babies' were really beautiful times." 



A couple weeks ago I was sitting in the living room cleaning up Isla's toys and could hear through the bathroom door a muffled 'Dad version' of the Frozen song. I never knew this man of mine - this man with 'emotional radar' who can be 'all business' sometimes had places in him solely reserved for our girl. I like to think of them as little patches of fluffy pink flowers covered in glitter- those places are Isla's- those places are meant for her. Before we even knew her- they were hers. 

I always knew Brandon would make a great Dad, 
I just never knew how lucky Isla would be to have him as her Daddy. 


We love you B---
xoxo. 
S

1 comment: