Monday, November 11, 2013

Food Rut


Hi Friends!

As many of you know, when we started "solids" Isla didn't stick around in the puree'd phase for long. She quickly 'demanded' finger foods and different consistencies. She also is super strong willed and loves nothing more than grabbing that spoon out of your hand to feed herself (even when she has one of her own!) The good news for us is that she loves to try new foods even if the result is an adamant shake of the head. I've realized in the last week that I'm kind of stuck in a food rut with her diet (and ours for that matter).

Unfortunately, the aforementioned 'food rut' is common for B&I. We both have super 'go,go,go' personalities and usually eating on the run or grazing is our meal mode. Since I've been home with Isla I have been making her meals in the kitchen and then grazing on snacks while I do dishes, clean or chat on the phone. This method works great but I am realizing that it's important to sit and eat with her several times out of the week (especially now that she works to mimic us so frequently) and it helps me think through a more 'rounded' meal for her and I.

I go through phases and food ruts pretty consistently. One week I will eat 4 quesadillas and the next week I will be on a toast binge. Considering that we are Vegetarians and we're choosing to raise Isla as a Vegetarian I am trying to be more responsible in making sure we all get the necessary nutrients we need. (This whole thing is kind of funny since I'm sure we eat healthier and more consciously than the vast majority of eaters out there....that being said, it's always good to put yourself in check every now and then :)

Tonight I got serious about doing my 'homework' on what she should be eating at 9-12 months and got reinspired with her diet and the 'new' foods she can try. I'm headed to the store tomorrow to restock her shelf in our cabinet & fridge.

To help stick with it- I'll be posting her little menu and pics here to help you stay inspired too! If you have any advice send it my way--my ears are always perked up for seasoned words of wisdom!

oh......and I'm taking applications for the lucky party who would like to clean up this blueberry fiasco next time we dare put them on her tray (HOLY!!!!.....)

 xo-
S

No comments:

Post a Comment