Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Combi

I should have known.....when Isla woke up crying at 3:15 in the A.freakin.M, was soaked through her diaper and PJ's and was ravenously hungry.... I just should have known.

When I got the text at 8:00 that my play date cancelled because she caught the same sniffly-miserable cold we just had....I should have known....

and when I raised my clogged head out of bed at 9:15 and decided to finally get up I should have known that odd feeling that something just wasn't right was legit.

Yep.....my lifeline.
Isla's Chariot.
The one piece of engineering finery that keeps me sane with our one vehicle policy (which is usually occupied by hubby going to work) was MIA.

That's right folks....hubby rode off to the office this morning with not only the ergo held hostage in our SUV but also my stroller.

GAHHHHHHH- NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Around 12:30- after I realized Isla needed a shower to get all the milk she spit up into her neck fold (you know...that lovely baby fat roll under their chin) out (that's real) and she was losing her patience and kicking furiously on her blanket while I watched the end of Harrison Ford circa '93 in The Fugitive (which made me feel SO OLD because Harrison looks like quite a 'spring chicken') I realized there was no way I was going to make it locked in the house with a whining 5.month old and a demanding terrier all day.

NO WAY.

By 1:00 I decided to get brave and carry Isla to Starbucks. She had the time of her life being carried around like she was the next heir to the throne and I tried to make it fun by pointing out "grass"--"oh look, it's green" but by the time my soy mocha arrived I was ready for them to make it "Irish" (if you know what I mean).

Thankfully my savior came in the form of my neighbor from our building who I ran into at Starbucks. When she came up to see how much Isla's grown in a week (she's an older Grandma type and obviously thinks things like this are fascinating :) and saw me lugging her around without my usual baby carrier she inquired and offered her umbrella stroller that she had for her grandkids.

THANK THE LORD!

For all the times I've avoided my neighbors or hid out looking busy gathering garbage in the car so I could avoid a conversation about 'stagnant air in the building' or 'the unsightly industrial shelves they put in the foyer' I thanked my lucky stars that I took the time to step out of my comfort zone and make friends with Sharon, my Kathi, Terri, Brian & Katie down the hall .... all of these neighbors of ours who love to see us strolling around.... who watch Isla grow and see more of me than some of our family does. On days like today.....this neighbor of mine was the direct reason my sanity was retained.

So thank you Sharon- you made my day.

....and yes, Isla and I strolled in the Combi with style. She even decided to nap- which is another miracle in itself. I wouldn't go so far as to say I recommend this stroller- it's a bit of a rickety ride but it got the job done and the girl seemed to enjoy it. For that- I'm so very grateful. (time.for.wine!)

This is a terrible angle but you get the point- I'm obviously thrilled beyond words. combi for life. :) 

xo.
S

1 comment: