Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Isla's Toy Box : 0-5 Months

The other day Isla and I had a defining moment when she was scooching around her blanket and pushing away all of her toys except for her Skip Hop Owl. She let out the "I'm Bored!" cry and I knew something had to be done. It seemed like overnight she went from loving her "baby toys" to wanting more stimulating toys to play with. I immediately texted my "go-to" Mama friends and asked what they recommended for a 6 month old. Thankfully they came through with flying colors and Isla is enjoying her new (and some 2nd hand) 6-month toys. I decided to blog about what she loved the first five months and then I'll follow up with 6-9 and 10-12. Enjoy!

1: The Baby Einstein Blue Octopus.

They don't sell this guy buy himself but other babies must love him like Isla did because I easily found him on Craigslist and ebay. He comes with the Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Play Gym which is also listed below.

ps- I think one of the reasons she loved this guy so much is because that hat is easily mistaken for a large nipple- she's a boob gal :)



These books came with high reccs from many Mommy friends so they were on our initial registry. We have the Puppy Tails book which is super cute. We also have the Bedtime for Baby book which doesn't have tails but it is cloth and has little flaps and squeekies and things. Isla LOVES to manhandle these books and suck on the tails. 

 3: Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Play Gym

Here's the deal with this thing- It's super ugly. The color clash will pretty much throw you into a seizure and it's a total menace on the floor taking up coveted space. I can't tell you how many times I've caught my foot on it and tripped. That being said.....from 3 months to around 6 (she still scoots around on it and loves the big tags on the side) Isla loved this mat and the hanging toys. I took down the plastic toys and put up soft ones. I never used the battery operated turtle thing on the side but the whale was nice when she was learning to prop herself up. She absolutely LOVES that mirror it comes with. She can talk to the baby in that mirror for hours on end :)

4: Remote.

That's right....if you are king or queen of the remote expect that to change asap. At 5 months Isla was all about snagging the remote from us and pushing the buttons. We finally found a little remote to our AC that I removed the batteries from (watch out ! she learned how to pull off the back) and cleaned up for her. I did receive reccs for the One Step Ahead Silly Surfer Remote which I plan to order as soon as she gets sick of her little one. The beauty of the One Step Ahead one is that it looks like a real remote and doesn't have all the annoying (LOUD) noises some of the toy ones have.


5: Board Books (specifically):

Isla loves to be read to (which I love)- she specifically loves Snuggle Puppy because she can put her hand through the cut-out front. I sing the book to her and she listens and hits the pages. It's our little routine. She also LOVES Goodnight Moon which is a must-have. I love On the Night You Were Born and the Dr. Suess books but she's not into them yet. She will literally close the book the Book and try to wiggle away. We'll try again later :)



6: Life Factory Teether

Isla loved these teethers because they're soft. She used the Sophie teether (not the giraffe but the scented hard teether) and wasn't a fan. They are also made in the US and are a green product. I don't have it on the list but Isla LOVES her Sophie also. She's a total necessity!


From the time Isla was brand new she loved the Wubbanub paci. Around 5 months she was over the pacificer and would just hold onto the stuffy. She ended up loving to suck on the legs and giraffe ears more than the paci when she was older. The price is a bit steep for a paci but totally worth it. 

 8: Bright Starts Sensory Zebra

A friend bought this stroller toy for us and I threw it in the stroller basket not thinking about it much until around 3.5 months when Isla became infatuated with it. She loves the little hanging things-- the bee has little balls that makes noise and she loves to suck on the red apple with sensory bumps. It also has a mirror and she swears that tail is a nipple (like I said- she's a boob gal :)

9: FP Snugabunny Bouncer

As I've blogged about this before....my BFF swore I needed this chair even though floor space is at a premium in our condo. I conceded and I'm SO.FREAKIN.THANKFUL I did. This chair is pure magic. It's the only way I've been able to shower in the last 6 months. In the beginning Isla loved to chat to the birds and I'd hang stroller toys from the top. Now I took off the top piece and stuck it in her toy bin and she just enjoys the chair. If there was only one thing to buy- this would be it!



Isla loved these art cards from the time she was really little. She especially loved them when she had more hand control and could hold them in front of her (and try to nibble the corners). 


Happy Shopping and Registering :) 

xoxo. 
S


No comments:

Post a Comment