Thursday, March 21, 2013

Photographing Your Newborn

I thought it would be fitting to write about photographing your 'Little One' since I'm a Photographer. I do some posed newborn & kiddo photography as well as lifestyle shoots, but this post is less about the posing and more about getting the elements right to capture timeless images...and do it quick! What Mama doesn't love that? 

Ironically, Miss Isla was not a fan of the camera when she was brand new. I have done many newborn shoots and none as hard as the one I tried to do for my OWN Daughter. 

Irony literally laughed in my face! 

I finally called in a good friend to do Isla's mini-newborn shoot so we could get some announcement photos. Such a smart move in hindsight! The pretty little photo shoot below was after I accepted the fact that I would not be doing Isla's newborn shoot but I could still capture her in pretty light in our home....during her nap time! I love these images-- now, I look back and see how tiny and alert she was. 

Only two months have passed and my girl has changed SO much! 

A couple tips: 

1. Keep the room warm. If you're too warm, baby's probably perfect. If baby is restless use a heating pad under the blanket they're on .... just make sure it's not too hot. 


*Miss I. is a restless sleeper- a heating pad worked wonders! 

2. Place baby next to a window for good 'even' light. A window with a sheer is best. These were taken next to a french door with no window covering....but it is Seattle and our light is usually pretty 'even.' Thank you Pacific NW :)

3. Work with baby's schedule! Feed baby right before and make sure they're comfortable. Work with time on your side! Patience is the key here. I did these images in two different, VERY-laid back sessions. Isla woke up during the first one so we were up a bit, then I fed her and we rocked until she was asleep again and we finished. Baby's in charge of this one :) 

4. Use different angles- move around baby. A fun challenge? Try to compose in the camera and not rely on cropping after you upload your images. Take a lot of pics and experiment!

5. Focus on the details. That little ear, that fuzzy hairline or teeny-tiny toes. You will want to remember all of that. 


6. When you upload your images, don't delete too quickly. I have learned that out-takes are many times my favorite shots. They capture a honest beauty that is sometimes lost in posed sessions. 

7. Use whatever comforts baby in your arsenal! Noise maker, paci, heating pad...whatever goes! 

Last but not least....have fun! You will love that you have these early memories captured :)


























No comments:

Post a Comment