Tuesday, March 19, 2013

First week 'sisterhood'

There is one thing about that first week at home. 

You have never needed your 'sisters' more. Hubby is good and all but when it comes to adjusting to your new little one there is no one as comforting to share your postnatal woes with like your 'sister.' This can mean your Mom, Sister, Aunt, Grandma or in my case, Best-Friend. Whoever your 'sister-mama' is she will save you that first week. When you think your nipples will never be the same again, you wonder if that thing baby is doing is 'normal' or you just need someone to take a shift with your newborn....she will be there. I just can't say enough about the magic of mama sisterhood. How much we truly need each other in this very transitional, beautiful time in our lives. 

When my 'East coast soul mate,' Ashli had her daughter Grace I flew to Florida with our friend, Ara for a week of girlfriend bonding over newborn newness. We stayed in our PJ's for 7 days, watched two dozen movies, ordered in every day, supported Ash in her new role and laughed. ALOT. 

Oh how we laughed :) 

I won't rewrite the blog I did about my visit during Grace's birth because I think the original is just so good (see it here). As I started to write this blog I reminisced about that incredible time with my bestie, our dear friend & sweet Grace. I love the images that came out of that week..... 

~ ordering in. again.

~ Ash & and brand new G. 

~There was bubbly. We were celebrating of course :)

~ such sweet newborn newness.

I will always remember these sweet cuddles with my precious niece. There is nothing like the smell of a newborn little one- the newness of their skin and little fluffy whisps of hair. I will always look at grown-up Grace and think back on this time.


When I made the call that we were prego Ash started looking for flights. Pretty much immediately. Yep, that's what Besties do. They price flights fearlessly knowing they'll have to bring along their one year old and pray they make it in time for baby. It's always a gamble timing it right. Thankfully I flew into Miami 2 days after Grace was born- perfect timing for when Ash got home and was settling in. If you read Isla's birth story you probably know Little Miss made us wait a couple days but it was so special that Ash was here with me when I was pregnant and as I welcomed Isla to the world. Thankfully she got 4 days with her before having to fly home. I loved seeing our girls together. We always dreamed our girls would be close in age and have a friendship bond like ours. Watching that reality come to life made me feel so blessed.


My favorite images of our first week with Isla are the ones with my Ash & Grace in our 'everyday life.' We've been friends for over 13 years- the majority of that we have lived across the country from each other- me in Seattle and her in Miami. Our friendship is the kind that thankfully remains strong between the miles. Thanks to technology we facetime every week and text pretty much daily. Especially now that there are babies in the mix we need each other more than ever. When we're together it's as if no time has passed. It's exactly as it should be.





It's always hard to say good-bye but this time it was especially hard. I remember when I left Ashli and Grace back in February after Grace was brand new I could feel her little hand tugging at my heart. This time, as we hugged and buried tears in each other's hair during a long hug at Seatac I just couldn't imagine her not here.....in our house, with Isla, with me...waking up everyday with coffee and the Today show, answering my 20 questions a day and reinforcing my maternal instinct that I sometimes doubt.

 Life felt very- very unfair at that moment.

As I cryed silent tears and B held my hand trying to talk about when we can see her next I was so sad for myself.... for Isla...oh, how we would miss our Florida girls....but.... I was also so grateful.

So very, very grateful.

I have always known a friendship like ours is rare in this life. I have always felt such gratitude for the pieces that make ours the forever kind. Mamahood is a beautiful, scary, perfect puzzle. Sharing it with a sister who knows your soul is a true gift.

Until the next little bambino comes.....hint, hint :)

xoxo.
S







1 comment:

  1. Ok, seriously sister, a warning next time. I SOBBED through this. Facetime is saving me these days! Can you imagine next time, 3 littles? It is going to get a lot more interesting each time!
    There are no words...I love you!

    ReplyDelete