Thursday, November 13, 2014

Christmas is coming!

Hi Friends!

Today started off great-- B has been sick the last two days and coughing all over everything. After spending most of the night listening to him hack (shoot me!) and then getting up with Isla from 4:30-6:30 (are you KIDDING ME?!!) it was a miracle that I got us out of the house and to Trader Joe's by 11am for some much needed produce shopping. I even took Miss Isla to the "swings" afterwards. She loves this little park hidden away by our condo and today she had it all to herself!


Right about the time I started feeling like I was really 'winning!' things took a slow and steady direction downhill which started with the fact that once again my kid wouldn't nap-- two months and counting over here! Even in her stroller (which is usually my secret weapon) she wouldn't go down.

I SO needed a break and knew I wasn't going to get it which is the WORST feeling in the world! (Well maybe that's dramatic but still!)

I tried to put her down in her crib but the crocodile tears were too much for me and it was right about the time she pulled those out that I noticed how congested she was. F! I decided to try and ignore her congestion issues or chalk it up to teething symptoms but by 5:50pm when she melted down naked in front of the front door because she wanted milk immediately without PJ's and a bath...I came to terms with the fact that she is probably getting sick again. UG! I ended up relenting on the bath- I mean, pick your battles right?!!- and she got into her pjs, facetimed Daddy with a 'good-night kiss' and passed out into her blankets. GOOD-NIGHT ISLA!

As I was getting overwhelmed with the usual list of long-overdue-'to-do' items I disregarded them completely and painted my toenails RED because CHRISTMAS IS COMING and nothing makes me more thrilled than a pending Winter holiday-- there's nothing I love more than a little 'fa-la-la-ho-ho-ho' on the horizon! I'm convinced that little bit of holiday cheer is slowly turning my evening around (thank god I don't have a 'before' pic....this paint job was WAY overdue!)


It feels like every afternoon has the same challenges with her 'no-napping' schedule and now with the added stress of her eating issues and irritability by 4:30 I'm LOSING.MY.SH*T! (pretty much daily-ug!)

 Today I literally picked up the phone at 5:10 after she had been scream/fussing for almost 45 minutes to call B and tell him to get home immediately so I could go have a drink (or just pretend I was walking to have a drink--JUST GET OUT!) but then I looked at the clock and realized the minutes were ticking by and I was 40 minutes from her bedtime routine. So I hung on and focused on our little victories around here today...like how she kept down a smoothie that I loaded with spinach and protein powder (yes, she's still on her 'solid food strike'--although I'm more and more convinced that it's teething and not behavioral), how she was 'pretty' good at the store (minus tantrum tossing her applesauce on the floor), how when I listen and really try to follow her words I can usually figure out what smart little thing she was telling me -- that really cuts down the frustration! and how after she was done flailing around naked, cold, irritated and exhausted she came up and gingerly hooked her chin over my shoulder and gave me sweet little baby hug. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Now to restoring my 'mom bank' for tomorrow--- time for a dark chocolate indulgence and Parenthood while I snuggle under 14 blankets in my freezing condo. Life is so glamorous!

xoxo.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment