Friday, June 21, 2013

short supply?

As some of you may know I had been battling short supply issues lately with nursing. Isla is still eating every two hours and by the end of the day she just wasn't getting enough to be satisfied before bed. When I pumped to find out what she was getting, it was barely an ounce. eek!

I was able to use some of my frozen milk and have tried EVERY way possible to increase milk supply. I know it's different for every nursing mom but these are the things that worked and didn't work for me- If you read nothing further just print the recipe at the bottom. It's awesome- read on.

1. Let baby nurse frequently, offer both sides, check technique- check, check, check. All good here!

2. Fenugreek- I took the vitamin supplement and noticed a slight difference. I know for one of my girlfriends this made a sudden impact but I didn't have dramatic results.

3. Pump to stimulate more milk production- This did work positively and I still do this in the morning (if Isla wakes up anytime after 5am that is :) I'm usually full in the morning and she only wants to eat on one side before falling asleep with a full tummy. I then get up and pump the other side which is usually 3-4 ounces. I use that milk at night if I'm low! It works well :) You can also pump when there's not actually milk coming out to stimulate your body to think that the baby needs milk at those times.....just pump both sides for the same amount of time.

4. Brewer's Yeast- All of these put together paved the road to my success but Brewer's Yeast did help significantly in my case. I did research on this product and bought this one from Amazon. I read lots of reviews and for how pricey this product is I wanted it to taste good and mix into food well. I have had a lot of luck with this brand and product! I have mixed it into smoothies, salad dressings and cookie dough. I will say--don't expect that this is just going to evaporate into other items- it adds crunch and a little flavor but it's good. Even if you're not nursing this product is considered a super food and really good for you- Hubby likes to enjoy it with me :) After trying Milkmaker's Cookies and seeing a positive change I decided to find a Lactation Cookie Recipe online. Yes, this is a real thing. I made the one below and they were super delish and I've had positive results. Now- I'm not saying to eat a dozen cookies but they may help if you're having similar issues, as I am. They are also a nice gift to a new mom or to a client from a Doula/Midwife.


Lactation Cookies Recipe – Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter or margarine (for a healthier option, use coconut oil instead which is super good for you!)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar (if wanting to reduce sugar, you could try just 1 cup)
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (can be found at any local health food store)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional, for flavour)
  • 2 cups plain flour (for a healthier option, try substituting with coconut flour, either half or all)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
  • 1 cup or more chocolate chips/sultanas/almonds/macadamia nuts (optional, whatever takes your fancy)
  • 2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (this is the magic ingredient – not to be confused with bakers yeast or any other yeast)
IMPORTANT! Do not substitute the brewers yeast for any other products or yeasts… that’s the ingredient which makes them work, along with oats. Nutritional yeast and bakers yeast is different. If you don’t notice much of an increase the first time or if you need to increase your supply even more, add more brewers yeast.

Lactation Cookies Recipe – Method

Preparation time is around 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
  • Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
  • Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.
  • Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.
  • Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.
  • Scoop or drop onto a greased or lined baking tray. Because the dough is a little crumbly, it might be easier if you use a scoop.
Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. This recipe makes heaps – depending on the size you make, you could end up with 5-7 dozen. Cut the recipe in half if you want much less, or make the full amount and either freeze some, or bake half into cookies and save half for cookie dough.
Source: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/breastmilk-supply-increase-breastmilk-lactation-cookie-recipe#.UcVEaBaOhXI
If you're interested in more variations and info on this recipe and the ingredients check out the source above. There's lots of good info there! 
Enjoy!

xoxo- S

PS- And seriously, in none of these work call your OB for a recommendation to see a Lactation Consultant. The one who did my consultation during my first week with Isla was the key to my breastfeeding success.

ALSO!

When I was looking for advice on my situation a friend who's a Doula sent me info on finding donation milk from other moms. This FB page is an awesome tool and can be a good option while you're figuring out your own milk supply.

https://www.facebook.com/hm4hbWA


1 comment:

  1. I printed the recipe to add to my collection of resources, thanks! And so glad to hear you had success increasing your supply :)

    ReplyDelete