Sunday, June 2, 2013

Meatless Monday

Hi Friends!

I thought I'd start a new series and post my favorite vegetarian recipes on Sunday night just in case you are brave enough to do a "Meatless Monday!"

 As most of you know I've been a Vegetarian for over 17 years! I love my lifestyle- I'm super healthy (and had a super healthy vegetarian-eating pregnancy!) and it's not hard, which comes as a shock to most people. There are SO MANY healthy vegetarian options out there now. It was really hard when I was young and trying to not eat meat - I think I lived on salad shakers throughout high school. Restaurants and grocery stores are so much more diversified now. Being a Veggie has encouraged me to expand my diet and the foods I try- who knew I'd ever find so many ways to eat tofu, or sample seitan or even puree veggies into sauce. Give meatless Monday a whirl- I'll ease you into it with this "like-meat" dish :)

I love this recipe- in fact I made it tonight! Hubby found the meat version on www.allrecipes.com- (seriously love that site!) and we adapted a vegetarian version that's super yummy! I make this full batch for the two of us and freeze the leftovers. It will keep for a quite a while and is perfect for reheating on a rainy day when you don't feel like cooking. You can do the meat version if you're not brave enough for the veggie version I suggest. I also serve it with crusty bread or naan (I just got the Archer Farms one from Target- yummy!) and a glass of wine- duh!

ENJOY!

PS- that photo doesn't do this dish justice- ignore it!

Lentil and Sausage Soup
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: ANGCHICK
Photo By: Jayperk
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours
Ready In: 3 Hours 15 Minutes
Servings: 10

"Lentil soup flavored with sausage and herbs. Serve with Romano cheese sprinkled on top of each serving bowl."
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup shredded carrot
8 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound ditalini pasta (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until lentils are tender.
2.Stir in pasta, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 6/2/2013


VEGETARIAN ALTERNATIVE: 

Use Field Roast Sausage instead of Italian Sausage. You can buy them at most grocery stores next to the tofu. They come in a bunch of flavors. I've used the Italian and used the Apple tonight. The chipotle is also SUPER yummy in mexican food. I use organic vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
EASY!

The actual link (if you're blind like me :): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=45426&origin=detail&servings=10&metric=false


No comments:

Post a Comment