Friday, October 23, 2015

Mom Holiday-Moneysavers!

Hi Friends!

I put this list together last year after the holidays so I'd remember to do these items this year. I thought it was a great EARLY reminder of ways to save your budget and sanity this holiday season.

__________________________________________

I'm all for a bargain and since I try to keep us on a budget I have tried to save pennies on the holidays since Isla was born. Here are a couple of my most favorite tricks and tips!

1. Start early-- it sounds so easy, I know! Seriously though- buy for your kiddos, hubby and whoever will get you a Christmas list in September/October (it's a little like pulling teeth that early but whoever gives you ideas, buy for them!) Parcel out the rest of your list from November-Dec.

2. Take family photos in late Summer/early Fall and order cards right away. If you're waiting for a deal at least design your card so the stress of assembling it is out of the way. Last year I got a smokin' deal on Zulily for Tiny Prints and ordered my cards in October- YAY! (It's a first but hopefully I'm setting a trend!) This year, I snagged a similar deal on Groupon and saw a couple in magazines too!

3. Consider limiting kiddo gifts to several themed gifts or the fun theme "Something you want, Something you need, Something to wear, Something to read"-- I'll be following this for Isla's Birthday since it's so close to the holidays--that's just a lot of gifts all at once!

4. Buy Holiday stamps when they come out on several trips to the post office. I have bought one book the last two times I went to the post office and I almost have enough for my cards. It makes the sting of sending cards a little less immediate.

5. Pay attention to deals--- hit up Black Friday, Cyber Monday, follow your favorite shops on IG so you know when sales are coming (many do big Black Friday sales).

6. Stop shopping when you're done with your list---this seems like a no-brainer but I can't tell you how many times I've shopped early for someone and then been out during the season and seen something I 'just had' to put with their gift. "Unnecessary" blows the budget!

7. Shop the Dollar Store & craft stores for Holiday decor or better yet take advantage of Pinterest- There are a million ideas out there and we're loving the ones Isla and I can do together. Thankfully Michael's and Joann's tries to liquidate their holiday goodies weeks before the holiday so the sales are great before Thanksgiving and Christmas even arrive!

Also- get decorating ideas from holiday catalogs--I copy lots of Pottery Barn and Sur La Table tricks from trinkets I pick up at craft stores and make it look like the catalog. No one has to know it was from the $1 aisle!

8. Buy one roll of nice brown or white heavy wrapping paper and use it for all presents--glitz it up with ribbon/bows/etc. It's all about the accessories right?! If you have to have wrapping paper (which can be more fun for kiddos!) buy it after Christmas for the following year- it's a super bargain. Also consider only wrapping the "Santa gifts" in wrapping paper- Santa's fancy right?! I bought Disney wrapping paper that's pink and only slightly holiday since it has snowflakes on it and used it for all of the little girl Winter Birthdays Isla went to- a serious money saver! The only downside is that you have to store it!

9. Create photo books early. They run some mega sales during November/December for photo books and gifts. These can be pricey if you're printing multiples. I am definitely the one staying up until all hours to create the 'perfect photo book' for our parents in November but this year I'm willing myself to do ours early. You can save them in the book making software (I like to use Blurb) and wait until the sales arrive and then upload them and order.

And since you know I can't end my lists on an odd number (Hello, Perfectionist :) my final item is one that is simple but hard for us 'do it all Moms' to accomplish.

10. Be Present in your family's holidays. I'm 100% not talking about doing it all and stressing yourself to the max- I'm talking about doing what's necessary and makes you feel good about celebrating with those you love and letting the other things go. That is the best thing for your budget and more important, your sanity. This is the year to pick your holiday battles right?! I promise the name cards you're slaving over at midnight the night before Thanksgiving will not change the way you feel when you look around the table at your family. The number of gifts won't change the joy on your children's faces on Christmas morning and sometimes letting go of those things is the best thing for us as Moms and our families. I saw this on Facebook last week and loved it--a good reminder to stay present, have perspective and be filled with gratitude this holiday.


Happy Holiday Preparations Everyone! 
xoxo. 
S

No comments:

Post a Comment