Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Need a Good Read?

Hi Friends!

I found this post started in my drafts folder and thought I'd finally get it up in time for choosing Summer books to enjoy by the pool (or in my case.. squeezed in if I'm early to swim lessons or my kid naps in the car :)

These reviews are from Fall to current so there are lots of good ones and some mediocre ones worth the review in here too. Please note- I'm not a serious reviewer.  I read for fun and fun alone! If it's not entertaining or interesting I scrap it.

I put the titles as a links to Amazon if you're interested in picking up the book. Feel free to comment or message me with questions!

What should I add to my 'Must-Read' list for the Summer?


My Life in France: Julia Child 
Julia Child

I liked this memoir about Julia's life in France, what she calls her 'spiritual homeland.' I have read other books about Paris in the 20's regarding the lives of Hemingway, Zelda Fitzgerald's and now Julia Child in the 50's in Paris. It was pretty interesting how the social circles connected--Julia and her Husband, Paul were close friends with Hemingway's first wife, Hadley Mowrer and her Husband. Some of the intricate cooking bits were too much for me- I either didn't care or was just grossed out on the intricacies of making sausage or carving a duck (which probably won't matter if you aren't Vegetarian :) I did find it interesting how thorough and truly genuine in her personality and work Julia was. I can imagine she was one of a kind.

The Aviator's Wife
Melanie Benjamin

In all honesty, I didn't finish the book. It was just so depressing and the main character (Lindberg's Wife, Ann) was so unlikeable. I have read other books where the main character is weak and pushes her life aside for her Husband but the character always had some redeeming characteristic and I just couldn't find it with Ann. I'm hoping it shows up at the end of the book and maybe I just didn't read far enough. I also was coming up on the tragedy with their 18 month old son and I disliked the book so much at that point I couldn't venture further and take it on. Did anyone read this and enjoy it?

That Old Cape Magic
Richard Russo

I loved Empire Falls (even though it took me several times to get through it) and I liked this shorter novel by Richard Russo (which I picked up at Half Price Books for $1). The pacing in both books is very 'everyday'- at some point in his books I always wonder 'where is this going?' and then I find that the character's everyday interactions and choices--struggles really... lead to much wiser plot lines and lessons. I liked this one and it was a quickie- always nice!

Big Little Lies
Liane Moriarty

I had seen the cover of this one everywhere from Costco to Amazon and when my good friend, L recommended it I had to jump in. I loved this book- it was the easiest 458 pages I've taken on in a long time. I unfortunately can't read any other time than before bedtime and I love when books have short chapters so I can read one or many at night. I loved the way this was written- a steady, fun, sometimes suspenseful storyline and pace. I guessed one of the 'twists' at the end but didn't guess another and I LOVED it for that reason even more. As soon as I finished this one I went on Amazon and ordered her other best seller, The Husband's Secret which also has great reviews.

Me Before You
Jojo Moyes

My Sister recommended this book and I grabbed it on a whim when were in line at Half Price Books- I'm SO glad I did. It's so original and lovely--and uplifting and sad...it just sends you through a roller coaster of emotions and the connections the author helps you establish with the characters is really special. I loved it and highly recommend it! Has anyone read any of the Jojo Moyes other books?

Brain on Fire
Susannah Cahalan

I have had this one on my list for quiet awhile so when my Sis and I picked it as our first book club read I was thrilled! I loved this story - it was intriguing, unbelievable and REAL. Amazing! This book has done so much good for so many people and has helped diagnose a real medical problem- which still is incredible to me. It was inspiring and shined a light on a problem I knew little about. A great read!

The Husband's Secret
Liane Moriarty

I bought this book after reading Big Little Lies. I didn't love it the same way that I loved the other book but it was still good and a great read for travelling- easy, fun, more predictable (which was my issue with it) but I loved the short chapters and easy reading. Worth it if you're looking for a quick and easy Summer read.

All the Light We Cannot See
Anthony Doerr

A friend, whom I trust for her solid book reviews, recommended this one and it was the second choice for my Sister and my new bookclub (that really just entails us getting together for a 'date' over a meal once a month to talk about books and gossip :) This book is so lovely, heartwarming, heartbreaking--wrenching at times. It's set in WWII occupied France and switches back and forth through the last several years of the war and the years following. It is not just another WWII book but a really beautifully written story intertwining characters who have nothing in common until you discover the common thread. My Sis and I both loved it and highly recommend! I already predict this will eventually be a movie.

I'm currently reading We Are Water by Wally Lamb that's really good but I think you have to read his work to appreciate his writing and his 'slow simmering' approach. His books always seem to start off a bit slow and thoughtful with the guarantee of a beautiful finish. I'm never not satisfied with his novels- lets hope this one holds up.  After this one we're reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Anyone read it? I held off on seeing the movie to read the book.

Happy Reading!

Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment