Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Damaged Goods

Didn't think I was gonna do it...but I'm going there.

I have been trying to ignore all this Kim Kardashian being 'too fat' business but it's everywhere and it's making me crazy. Here's the deal.....Yes, this dress...


 ...was an unfortunate choice. It makes every sarcastic bone in my body ache to scream criticisms and cruel jokes. Apparently I wasn't the only one when this popped up on FB:


Confession: I laughed (Alot. a shameful amount). I did.
Then I felt guilty because .............SHE'S PREGNANT! GIVE A GIRL A BREAK!

This is also a case of how unforgiving a piece of clothing and a Photographer can be.....this is the other view...and she looks great- curse that white piece that looks like a nursing cover. Maybe she's practicing early?


Bottom line on this whole issue:

She's PREGNANT-- IE: GROWING A HUMAN-LEAVE HER ALONE.

I think the media calling her "fat" has brought up a hot-button issue for a lot of women out there. I'm going to completely generalize here, but I think that because our society puts such focus on beauty and appearance many women feel they are "damaged" after having a baby, whether that's from stretch marks, cellulite or (yes, I'm going there)....stretching ... down there, ahem. It's absolutely tragic and it sets up our daughters for the same unfair pressure. Women put pressure on themselves to lose the weight quickly because if a Victoria Secret model can drop 30 lbs in 2 weeks post partum, why can't you? Why else would it make news when a celebrity appears post-partum in yoga pants with spit up in her hair and it makes the cover of US Weekly. Oh you thought she looked like she just walked off the cat walk and not the plank? She is measuring sleep in minutes and struggling with post-partum hormones. Celebrities are women, just like you and me. I can't imagine being pregnant in the public eye (it's amazing Kate Middleton is doing it so well!) My sympathies to those ladies- it's hard enough as it is.

And to all those ladies who are struggling with feeling damaged by their pregnancies.... a little message for you:


Truth.

xoxo.
S

2 comments:

  1. Such a great post Sandi, thanks! And just a side note, I wish fat/appearance criticism was never acceptable, even if the cellulite and stretch marks didn't come from pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete