Tuesday, June 10, 2014

H.E.double.Toothpicks.

Hello Friends- 

I have discovered a new version of hell. 

It is called a pinched nerve- which for me just so happens to be in my neck although I'm sure having one anywhere pretty much sucks. Let me just tell you firsthand- you literally use your neck for EVERYTHING. The worst part is that it happened when I was making my Monday Morning coffee. I don't even have a cool story to go with it. I was trying to make one up tonight- I liked my Sister's idea of telling people I was training at my Crossfit gym (obviously I'm a regular) and my neck 'went out' as I was throwing a monster-truck tire over my head. Totally plausible right? 

Unfortunately those that know me know the coffee story is more likely (and all together more embarrassingly stupid). So this has been me the last 2 days. 

I just look at this picture and cringe. 
A true snapshot of suffering right?- at least I put on a bra? Winning?! 

I'm normally a good sport about these kinds of things---I'm a pretty healthy person and I thankfully don't get injured often so when it happens I figure I'm kind of 'due' but this time I just don't have time for this kind of an injury with a Toddler. Running after Isla to check that she's not swallowing a hair band or eating a 3 week old dehydrated pea off the hard woods is out of my playbook as are normal 'Mom functions' like, lifting Isla in any way (total problem), changing her diaper, putting her in her highchair and having her cling to me--or touch me for that matter. That last one brings me to yesterdays meltdown--let me set the scene..... 

Hubby was home when I pinched the nerve in my neck so he got me all set up with pain meds, heating pad, water, etc and took care of Isla until 11 but he had meetings until 4 in the afternoon. When he came home at 4pm Isla was laying on my lap and I was sobbing over her. 

It was the longest, most tediously painful afternoon of my life.  

She just didn't understand that she couldn't touch me. Trying to put her down for a nap was absolutely awful- she didn't know why she was being 'dumped' in her crib without my usual snuggles. It was a miracle in the first place that I could get her in there. When she had to prance around in her poopy diaper for 30 minutes because I couldn't lift her onto her changing table and I had to wait for B to get home I felt like a total MOM FAILURE. Lets just say tears and awful sobbing noises ensued..... <insert Isla's sad/confused/happy/grimacing face here >
B thankfully took over for the evening but the day itself sapped my 'Mom spirit.' 

Today was a bit better but some more of the same too. At least I kept the tears at bay and made it through primarily on my own with Isla. I'm really hoping I'm 80% back tomorrow and can get back to real life. I absolutely REFUSE to feel crappy this weekend since we have a fun Dad's Day planned for B! Hear that pinched nerve?! BEAT IT!!! Move along to some other unsuspecting, coffee drinking victim (preferably NOT a Mom of a Toddler who can't defend herself when the little climber plunges on top of her from the coffee table she's NOT SUPPOSED to be climbing on). Just sayin. 

 Isla finally 'got the memo' that Mommy was down for the count. Thanks I-baby :) 

The Muppets saved me. Thank you Jim Henson. 

xo. 
S

No comments:

Post a Comment